Sunday, June 30, 2013

You Don't Breathe Enough!



Okay, I have to confess first, I am a big breather.  I am a fan of breathing.  I admit!!  I have a tainted view on the subject of breathing.  There, I said it.
Why breathe?  I mean, why breathe beyond what is essential to sustain life?  Because it helps to increase your bodies oxygen, and it will help you to relax and process feelings more easily, and because it just feels good.
It's been my experience that most of us are scared of uncomfortable experiences.  I'm talking of the internal kind, emotions/sensations like fear, anxiety, anger, pain, etc.  And we're very good at finding creative ways to avoid them.  We blame others, we look for distractions around us, anything not to feel.
And so breathing solves all of this?  No...but it's a good start.
Simply take time every day, as often as necessary, to just be present with whatever you are experiencing.  I said experiencing, not thinking.  Try focusing on your breath, and let yourself relax, just let yourself be, as you allow your breath to deepen your experience.  Feel your belly rising and falling with each breath, letting that become your focus.  Allow your feelings to just become part of the process.  ”I'm breathing and I'm feeling ... I may not like it, I don't have to like it but that's okay, I'm okay, and I'm breathing.”  Allow yourself to feel the safety of your breath, something that’s been a constant for you from the moment you were born.  Think of it like the currents in the ocean, allowing the waves to rise and fall.  The ocean being a mass of energy that has been here since the earth was formed, ever present, stable.

Now breathe, and let yourself enjoy the experience wherever it may take you.

No comments: