Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Everything is Perception?





I have always held the belief that I am afraid of public speaking.  Holding this belief it has always been my perception that I, as the speaker, am the expert.  With this perception then I had to have all the answers.  You the audience therefore, were there to learn and ultimately bathe in my wisdom.

What if, however, I don't know everything?  What if I stumble and fall?  What if you call me out?  ...And there we have the reason for mine, and many others fear of public speaking, I believe.

What would happen if I held a very different belief?  What if I choose to believe instead that I am a student of life, which by the way seems closer to the truth.  Would that change the dynamics slightly?  As a student of life I am forever learning, and therefore can't fail.  If I see myself as a student it allows me to see you and others as students too.  As students, you too perceive all opportunities as potential for growth, for sharing, for change.

How do your perceptions affect your view?

No comments: