Wednesday, January 5, 2011

That's Just the way I AM !?

Some of us feel that way at times. That’s just the way I am, “I’m goofy”, or “I’m shy”, “I’m…”

There are reasons we are the way we are. Some are out of our control. Others we have created unconsciously as ways of coping from our environment. Others yet we learned by example from those around us.

Have you ever heard anyone say, “I’m not going to be like my parents when I grow up”, only to turn out just like them?

What does it take for us to change? Let’s start with Intent and Acknowledgment.

Intent…is knowing what we want. Intent can be viewed as anything from goal setting, to affirmations, to prayer. When we couple this with feelings; feeling how we will feel when we accomplish our goal, and seeing it as if it were true, we are creating a clearer pattern for a goal to take shape. It’s the details we don’t have as much control over, and it’s here we need to be humble, learn to compromise, and relinquish some control.

Acknowledgment is the process of checking in with ourselves and being honest. If something comes up for me that I am troubled about I first take time to acknowledge what I am feeling, and where I am feeling it. I may check to see if there are any other thoughts and sensations associated with it. This process involves learning to live more in the moment, but it can also be viewed as learning to accept and love yourself, because it’s done without judgment.

This last process is essential yet sometimes a difficult one, as none of us, in which I include myself like to feel things that are uncomfortable. Exploring our inner worlds doesn’t keep us stuck, however, it sets us free. It feels empowering to me to know that I will be OK even when I am feeling intense emotions, knowing that they will pass allows me to be more accepting and honest with myself. This is a very different process than going over a thought or problem in our heads, over and over again.

I know that if you start practicing these simple, but profound tools, they will make a difference in your life, and help you reach your goals.

Try it.

No comments: