Monday, November 22, 2010

Building Connections

I was at Whole Foods the other day, having lunch with a good friend.  We talked of many things; our lives, presence, spirit, and our work.  She is a Life Coach, http://heartsong-coaching.com/home, and like me she's realizing that you have to put yourself out there and make yourself visible and vulnerable to be successful.  It's a scary process, but if we expect others to drop their defenses to make that connection with us, so that they may further their healing, then we have to be willing to do the same.
As I was leaving Whole Foods, I once again passed by the display outside, a No Kill shelter for animals was viewing a few dogs they brought by that day for adoption, as well as trying to raise awareness for their cause.  As I was walking past I noticed how the people viewing the animals seemed to soften, even if for a moment.  I even saw a couple feeding some birds while eating their lunch.  Nice.  Animals can help us let down our guards and allow us to just be ourselves, even if for a moment.
What are you doing today to connect to others in a authentic heartfelt way, whether it be a friend, your wife, children, a parent, or grandparent?  It's sometimes scary being vulnerable, but allows us to build deeper more meaningful relationships.

No comments: