Sunday, November 21, 2010

Resisting Change; a Personal Story

Not long ago I taught a class on Meditating.  In it I presented a certain form of meditation that involved the use of the body as a vehicle to awareness.  A conversation I had afterwords with one of the students left me with thoughts of doubt, coupled with emotions and physical sensations.  "I am trying to control things."  "I have to do it that way."  "I have to be perfect."  "I...", well you get the picture.
It's amazing how much we resist, how things like doubt and fear can leave us feeling alone and disconnected, how much I felt these things.
It's amazing how a different idea, way of doing things, belief, can trigger these feeling in us.  No wonder our political arena resembles a Junior High School playground.  No wonder we have killed over these things; values, culture, Religion.
And it's not going to change, regardless of what policies, social systems, etc. we have in place.  It will only change when we change, when we can sit with and love, if you will, ourselves, our own insecurities.  As our consciousness expands to embody all of us, including the shadows that terrify us, that lay hidden, that we blame on external forces like our spouse, our parents, etc.  It's only then that we can know and embrace ourselves and others.
Namaste.

No comments: